E-mail MeLowell F. Denton
Lowell F. Denton, a partner with Denton, Navarro, Rocha, Bernal, Hyde & Zech, P.C., specializes as a litigator in defense of municipalities, counties and other local governments, and as a lead negotiator in labor contracts.
Mr. Denton is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has close to twenty years of experience in municipal law.He served as the City Attorney for the City of College Station and the City of San Antonio.Prior to establishing the firm of Denton, Navarro, Rocha & Bernal, he served as the chief attorney for Heard, Goggan, Blair & Williams - Government section.Mr. Denton has dedicated his career to the representation and legal defense of local governments and is an experienced litigator, who has developed an expertise in helping city councils avoid litigation.His expertise in the area of municipal defense and litigation is widely known, and he served as the lead attorney for the City of Boerne in the landmark case City of Boerne v. P.F. Flores, Archbishop of San Antonio, and United States, 117 S.Ct. 2157 (1997) regarding the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA).
Mr. Denton specializes in the representation of local governments as a negotiator in collective bargaining and meet and confer negotiations in fire and police contract negotiations.He has served as the Lead Chief Negotiator for the Cities of San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Galveston, Waco and Corpus Christi, and Bexar County.
In addition to his expertise in the area of municipal defense and collective bargaining, Lowell and his wife Cindy and four children are active partners in the operation of the Four Aces Ranch located near Seguin, Texas where they do general farming and raise quarter horses, cattle, and hogs.
Mr. Denton attended Baylor University where he received his BA and law degree in 1978.He is an active member of Trinity Baptist Church and their missions committee, and is an active board member of the San Antonio Live Stock Exposition.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 1978
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. - 1978
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- B.A. - 1976
- Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TML-IRP)
- Texas Association of Counties
- City of San Antonio
- City of Austin
- City of Boerne
- City of Corpus Christi
- City of Laredo
- City of Waco
- Gallagher-Bassett, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2008 - 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The State Bar of Texas
- The Texas Municipal League
- The Texas City Attorney's Association
Past Employment Positions
- City of San Antonio, Texas, City Attorney, 1984 - 1986
- Texas A & M University, Adjunct Professor, 1979 - 1980
- Phi Delta Phi